Things to Avoid Feeding your Pet
We saw some information about foods to avoid feeding your pet the other day in a Veterinary magazine and thought it would be helpful.
The Top 10 Foods to Avoid Feeding to Your Pet and why:
- Alcohol – causes vomiting and my cause poisoning in smaller dogs
- Avocado – all parts contain Persin of which causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs
- Chocolate (all forms of chocolate) – contains methylxanthines causing vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart beat, tremors and seizures
- Coffee (all forms of coffee) same as reasons as chocolate
- Fatty foods such as macadamia nuts may cause weakness and depression
- Yeast dough may cause gas to accumulate in the small intestines resulting in pain for your pooch.
- Moldy or spoiled foods may contain salmonella or E. Coli
- Onions, onion powder may cause gastrointestinal trouble if consumed in larger amounts.
- Raisins and grapes toxic substance is unknown but can cause kidney failure
- Salt may cause sodium ion poisoning
- Xylitol this artificial sweetener used in candy and gum can cause insulin release in most animals resulting in hypoglycemia which leads to kidney failure. Signs include lethargy and loss of coordination.