The skin infestation known as mange is a troubling and unfortunate situation for an animal to endure. This is especially true for family pets, as the results can be dramatic. This situation can effect almost any type of animal, as well as humans. It might be worth your time to educate yourself about this condition.

This problem is usually defined as a moderate to severe infestation of the epidermis by a small parasite that is known as mites. These mites will burrow themselves deep into the animal’s epidermis, eating the hair follicles and the oil glands of the animal. These parasite are very easily passed on by basic contact.

The symptoms of this issue are usually fairly obvious, and can even be unsettling if the victim is a cherished family pet. As the parasites begin their infestation, the skin of the animal will become very itchy, often leading to vigorous scratching that tends to leave small sores that have the potential to become infected. The sufferer will become stressed, often losing weight. The hair will often fall out, leaving unsightly bare patches in the animal’s fur.

The cause of mange is a microscopic parasite known as demodex mites. Although these mites are normal, they have the potential to take over and cause serious issues. With young mammals, an immature and underdeveloped immune system allows the parasite to exceed normal levels. In adult animals, this can develop due to immune system changes caused by old age, cancer, and hormonal imbalances. The parasite is usually passed from carrier to carrier through direct contact with an infected animal.

The best method of preventing mange is by keeping your pet away from stray animals, or other animals that appear to have developed the problem. Proper hygiene is also very important. Animals that are malnourished or are not properly cared for are more prone to developing the problem.

There are numerous treatment options. It is important, however, that a qualified veterinarian prescribe the appropriate method, as ideal treatment options will vary depending on the degree of severity. Often, the condition will recede naturally. If this is not the case, veterinarians often advise medical injections or various types of medicated dips.

The mite infestation of the epidermis known as the mange is an unfortunate issue for a pet to have to endure. It is often torturous and difficult to watch. However, if approached intelligently with proper guidance, the condition can usually be cured. Be sure and speak with a qualified vet, as mistreatment of the problem, or a lack of treatment all together, can have severe effects on the animal’s health. It can even result in death.

Dog mange is a label humorously applied to animals, but it is also a serious skin condition that can be deadly for immature animals. Unless effective mange cream is applied, your pet will continue to suffer.