Posts Tagged ‘ear mites and yeast infections’
No your pet cannot directly get a yeast infection from ear mites. The presence of ear mites on your pet can cause the pet’s immune system to lower.
Once your pet’s immune system is lowered they are more susceptible to getting yeast infections, ringworm and other secondary bacterial infections. Ear mites can also cause your pet to have ear infections in the ear depending on the severity of the ear mite infestation. It is important to treat an ear mite infestation as soon as you start to see symptoms.
Lack of treatment of ear mites can cause hear loss in your pets. We treat ear mites with our PetsBestRx Mitactin Spray and PetsBestRx Healing and Protection Spray in the ear. When treating for ear mites, it is also important to treat your environment because this condition is highly contagious.
We do offer our All Stop DE-Stroy Pest Control Eco Dust to treat your home for ear mites. This is a food grade diatomaceous earth powder that is completely safe to use around kids and pets as well as yourself.
We also have two disinfectant sprays for your home, these are our PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray and our PuraCleenRx Xtreme Cleen. For your pet’s heath we offer our PetsBestRx Mighty Vites to naturally boost your pet’s immune system. This would help them to fight any infection that may be in the ear and also to heal quickly from ear mites. Also if your pet is being given immune booster vitamins they would be less likely to catch a yeast infection or any other bacterial infection.
More information on “can yeast infections be caused by ear mites?”
Although ear mites cannot cause yeast infections directly but they certainly make your pet more prone to acquiring yeast infections. Ear mites can make your pet susceptible to yeast infections in two main ways. First by lowering the immunity of the body and causing stress and second by predisposing the effected parts to yeast secondary bacterial infection. Ear mites can cause lacerations and wounds in ear some times, which favor the growth of yeast. Yeast usually affects the skin of pets and can make the condition more severe, by causing hair loss and making patches on your pet’s body. Your pet will end up looking unpleasant at the end of the day.
It is recommended to treat ear mites as early as possible to avoid further aggravation of the problem. Ear mites if accompanied by secondary bacterial infections and yeast infections can cause serious health risks to your pet.
You can browse the available treatments for ear mites by going here.
There are several ear mite products on the market; however there are only a few that have be studied and tested to work. We suggest you use something that is natural and non toxic. You have choices and we have described them below. We suggest you always take the natural route when getting rid of ear mites, but beware, not all of them work.
It is not necessary to bring your pet to a vet when you want to buy ear mite products. The article below should help you make your decision as to how to treat your pet for ear mites before you buy.
Common types of products used for ear mites
Ear mites, an annoying external parasite of pets cause infection of the ear canal and ear drum. Ear mites are not confined to ears as the name suggest, it spread to other body parts. The ear mites are treated by flushing the ear debris and mites using insecticide as in fleas. It may be less stressful to eliminate ear mites with natural treatments like:
- Antiseptic tea rinse: Green tea is a natural antiseptic. It can be used to flush out all the ear debris from the ear canal.
- Oil treatments: oil soothes the ear and suffocates all the mites as well.
- Non Toxic products: such as Mitactin for ear mites
Veterinarians prescribe topical antibiotics for pets to treat minor cut, scratches due to mild allergies and inflammation that comes in a variety of forms including sprays, ointments, lotions etc. Common typical antibiotics are:
- Panalog cream is topical antibiotics to treat ear and skin infections.
- Ointments such as bacitracin, neomycin, polymyxin B and mycitracin are safe but your dog’s wound should be monitored daily for swelling and redness.